There are times when you want maximum participation for a small unit skill. Here, you can use lots of small boxes to play fixing games with 2 v 1 situations. You can move easily around the boxes, observing and feeding back. MORE
Flat quick defences can be undone with short chip kicks. “Dinkys” works on the accurate execution of this type of kick and the chase from the other players afterwards. This sort of play will increase your tactical armoury and is becoming prevalent at the top level.
Warm up time: 5-7
Session time: 8-10
Development time: 10-15
Game time: 15-20
Warm down time: 5-7
What to think about
Your team needs to consider the risks and rewards of this type of tactic. Kicking the ball always offers the chance of possession to the opposition. Your chasing players need to change the odds back in your favour.
The chip kick is easy to cover if there is a defender tracking back behind the defensive line. Therefore, tactically your team needs to convince the defence that there is no chip kick coming. Either your kicker needs to attack the line with his run before kicking or the kick should be far enough away from the cover.
- Kicker: Kick high enough to clear the oncoming defenders and short enough for your chasers to win the race to the ball.
- Chasers: Anticipate the kick so that you accelerate past the kicker at the right moment.
- Support the potential catcher to gather offloads or knock backs.
What you get your players to do
Put a kicker (10) outside the box and a feeding player (9) about three metres to the side of the box. Place a receiver in the opposite corner. Have the kicker run onto a pass and kick the ball as he reaches the edge of the box into the target area where the receiver is standing. Swap sides and rotate potential kickers. Finally, add one or more chasers to see if they can gather the kick.
- Put in two defenders to charge down the kick. They can start at various distances away from the kicker.
- Add in a covering player to either challenge for the kick or tackle the chasing player who recovers the ball.
Set up a box as the bottom picture. Put four defenders in the middle zone and one defender at the back. The middle zone defenders must remain in this area at all times.
The attack has five attempts to beat the defence using normal passing or chip kicks. The gap in the zone offer spaces to kick into.
Play touch or full tackling rules.
What to call out
- “Drop the ball onto the foot to kick”
- “Disguise the kick by running first”
- “Kick on the end of the ball”