Use this continuous one minute game to put passing and decision-making under pressure. MORE
Creating an extra player in attack is a great advantage. It certainly makes the decision making process for your players more straightforward. It is even more of an advantage if the extra player arrives from deep and at speed.
Warm up time: 7-10
Session time: 20-25
Development time: 10-15
Game time: 10-15
Warm down time: 7-10
What to think about
Players can be too eager to get in support. They can end up getting so flat, forward or dropped passes regularly occur.
In this session, with the initial defender becoming the extra attacker, this problem is removed as the players will always arrive from a deeper position and at pace. It is then up to the ball carrier and supporter to best exploit this by using the extra attacker as the “penetrator” or as a “decoy”.
- In attack you will always have at least one extra player arriving from deep. Create a 2 v 1 with this player.
- The extra player can be used in several ways: as a decoy, as a passer to create an overlap or as the receiving player to take the ball in space.
What you get your players to do
Split the practice box in half. Organise the players into groups of two attackers and three defenders. Position the defenders in the box, one on the halfway line the other two on the backline.
Have the two attackers move forward and on this cue the single defender can also move forward. Using a pass or movement skills the attackers aim to beat the initial defender. They then move past the halfway line with initial defender turning and joining them in attack. Two defenders now face these three players in a 3 v 2 situation. Use touch tackling.
- Add a third row of three defenders so the session becomes a 2 v 1 then a 3 v 2 finishing with a 5 v 3.
- Start the initial practice with the single defender kicking the ball past the two attackers, so that the two attackers retreat to gather the loose ball before turning to attack.
Start with two teams of six, with an extra four attackers positioned at the corners of their try line. Tap and pass to start and for all re-starts. Add an extra attacking player on your signal
As the game evolves repeat this until all four extra attackers are added. By starting on the try line the added attackers will arrive from deep and at speed.
What to call out
- “Get some initial pace on the ball”
- “Pull the defender away from where you want to pass”
- “If the defenders hesitate run past them”
- “An early pass changes the target”
- “Use the deep support player as a decoy”