We spend so much time on coaching the usual suspects of technical, tactical and conditioning, that we can not spend enough time on the unusual suspects. MORE
When to allow failure and how to coach with uncertainty
Dan Cottrell speaks to Dr Suzanne Brown about the optimum environment for coaching. Suzanne, who recently shared a stage with Eddie Jones and Russell Earnshaw, talks about the ways you can challenge players so they can learn faster and more effectively. She brings together all her experience as a clinical psychologist to help us understand our own coaching.
In the podcast we discuss:
- Why kids need to fail
- Whether dropping out of sport is the right way to deal with non-selection
- How coaching children is different to coaching adults and how you should change your style
- Whether Eddie Jones is the right person to be speaking to grassroots coaches
- What a safe uncertain environment looks like
- Why understanding attachment theory is more important than learning how to coach technical skills
You can find out more about Suzanne’s work at her Emotionally Connected website.
In the podcast, she refers to the Triangle of Safe Uncertainty. Here’s what it looks like: