Keri Lovell, a WRU hub officer, head coach with Vale U15s in the Dewar Shield and working across local schools, describes how he changed his approach to coaching. He tells us how he made a big adjustment after chatting to Russell Earnshaw, and discovered how much more comfortable he could be dealing with the balance between winning and performance. MORE
A science-based approach to better and safer tackling
In this podcast, top rugby scientist Dr Sharief Hendricks outlines his research team’s findings on tackling.
He says that, through in-depth video analysis, they have found:
- The key attributes to a safe and effective tackle.
- A step-by-step method of coaching that tackle.
He tell us that:
- The best tackles are both powerful and safe.
- That technical understanding by coaches is the biggest barrier to progression.
- Tackle pads have a limited role to play in tackle progression.
- That you can improve tackling with the right conditioning.
You can read more about his work at:
And follow him on Twitter