Dale Sidebottom is a leading motivational instructor and coach educator who works across sport and business. He has inspired plenty of other coach educators to create better environments to maximise learning. In this bumper podcast he shares his methods and some of the best ways to make a real difference in coaching. MORE
Making real gains coaching grassroots and representative players
Giles Heagerty is a very experienced coach at all levels of the game. He runs the rugby at Cheadle Hume School, Manchester, is the head coach of England Counties U18s and this year has taken on the role of head coach at Waterloo Ladies, who play in the top English league.
With all that experience, across so many strata of the game, it was too good an opportunity to miss. So I was able to quiz Giles on the following:
- How do you engage young players who are not that keen on rugby?
- What coaching make a difference when players move from B to A teams?
- Should we use cups as an incentive at big tournaments?
- With so little time with representative sides, how do you build a tactical approach?
- How do you coach players who are struggling in a pressurised environment?
Giles gave me some great insights which I will definitely be employing. With the younger, less experienced players, I enjoyed what he said about accessibility and contact. I was also taken by the way the representative sides built leadership groups.