The low tackle is the best way to neutralise mismatches in size and power. It relies on a tackler closing down space to restrict the attacker’s speed and momentum – use this scoring game to get it right. MORE
A rough diamond shape with the ball carrier at the front means that
he can offload or go into contact with confidence. Get your players used to picking up this shape to enhance continuity.
- Four attackers come around the corner
- Three ruck-pad holders fill a gap between the ruck pad on the ground and a cone 10m away
- They set up in a rough diamond shape and take a pass from the feeder
- The ball carrier drives through the pads with another player latching on
- The ball carrier goes to ground and the other players drive over
- The ball carrier can offload the ball before, during or after contact
- Put three defenders in each corridor
- Four attackers aim to score in the first corridor, while three attackers wait in the other corridor
- If they are stopped and can recycle the ball, the ball is then fed into the second corridor, with one of the attackers from this corridor supporting the three in the other corridor
Retain possession from slow rucks to create quick ball.
Ruck pads, a ball.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put three ruck pad holders in a 10m gap beside a ruck pad.
- Get four attackers to come around the corner and set up in a rough diamond shape.
- They then take the ball from the feeder and drive into or through the pad holders or they can take contact and set the ball up for a ruck.
- Keep repeating the exercise with a different player taking up the head of the diamond each time.
- Make one of the defenders “live” so he can go for the ball.
- Start the attackers from different points so they have to organize themselves as they arrive.
- Put three defenders in both halves of a 20m x 15m box. Put a feeder in the middle. Put four attackers in one half and three in the other.
- The feeder gives the ball to the first four attackers in a diamond formation.
- If they don’t score in that corridor or form a ruck, the feeder passes the ball back into the other half (even if the ruck is on the far side).
- One of the attackers from the first four has to see if he can recover himself to help the other group. Repeat until there is an error or a try is scored.