Make sure your ruck defenders make gain line tackles to stop an attack making easy ground. It requires good body positions, plus the discipline not to drift out. Put into a game context quickly with the developments and game situation. MORE
How to win a 2019 Grand Slam with rock solid ruck defence
Will defence win the Six Nations this year? Wales have been so impressive in keeping out opposition teams that they could be Grand Slam winners in 2019.
Replicate their success by continuing to build your own rock solid ruck defence.
Here’s how to create a simple defensive system around the edge of your rucks to:
- Deny the opposition easy gains.
- Pressure them into mistakes.
- Create more chances for turnovers.
Use the sessions and advice below to:
- Understand what your role is as a defence coach: Coach like a top class defence coach
- Make sure you are up-to-date on the latest thinking around defensive positioning at the rucks: Simplest ruck defence
- Create activities to develop tactical awareness of your players: Ruck defence organiser and the two-step call
- Put the skills into realistic game situations: Ruck stops here!