Develop your players’ ability to pass with their heads up to see what’s coming. Help them pass in corridors of traffic but with limited chances of collisions. Avoiding collisions means looking ahead, but still looking to take a pass. Expect mistakes as players don’t focus on what’s in front of them enough. MORE
Lockdown planning: Passing skills zones
When we return to play, there will be plenty of rustiness where skills have fallen away.
While our priority will be re-engaging players with games, we will still need to mix in “skill zones”. This is another name for a more intense focus on a particular skill or technique.
Have a bank of skill zones ready to drop into your sessions.
Let’s focus on passing. Here are a range of activities/drills that give plenty of chances for players to catch and pass under various different levels of pressure.
Each offers different ideas which can easily be set up and added as part of the warm-up, a breakout during a game or part of a carousel of activities.
Here are the other plans in our lockdown series:
- Lockdown planning: Rebuilding lineout skills
- Lockdown planning: Team games to rebuild understanding
- Lockdown planning: Better support for the ball carrier
- Lockdown planning: Bust the line
- Lockdown planning: Protecting against an overlap
- Lockdown planning: Exploiting a narrow defence
- Lockdown planning: Preventing quick ruck ball sessions
- Lockdown planning: Quick ruck ball sessions