Need to inject some new ideas in training. Sometimes the old games have run their course. Well, for the time being anyway. Here are some fun games which are quick to set-up and, with few rules, give the players new challenges. Though they are primarily aimed at mini-tag, you can easily adapt them for older players. I think you find the energy generated quite uplifting. MORE
Ball carriers have to evade the static zombies. If one does get tagged, then the zombies are released and the ball carriers have to make it to safety.
- The ball carriers run in and out the static zombies
- The zombies are a little offset, and will try to grab a tag
- If the ball carriers make it to the end, then they turn around and run back
- If one of the zombies makes a tag, they shout tag
- Once a tag is called, the zombies are released
- The non-tag ball carriers aim to make it to safety before they are tagged
Use good go forward footwork, then use pace to escape the zombies.
Cones and balls.
HOW TO DO IT
- Set up three to five zombies in a column. They should be slightly offset so ball carriers can zig-zag effectively between them.
- Have the ball carriers run in a column in and out of the zombies. When they get to the other side they turn and repeat.
- If at any stage a ball carrier is tagged, the zombies are released. Now all the ball carriers must try to reach the narrow try line without being tagged, even if they have reached the side of the box to turn around and go again.
- Any players who are captured become zombies in the next round.
Try out any or all of the following:
- Have two more zombies in the area between the zombie line and the try line.
- Have two lines of zombies to run in and out of. That means you can have more ball carriers, and the ball carriers on the wrong side of the zombie line are in more trouble.
- Have fun.