Use simple “house” rules in training and games to help reduce the chance of selfish players dominating your team’s possession and preventing you scoring more tries. MORE
Challenge the attackers to come up with ways to score three tries without being touched. They have three try zones, and different rules to keep them thinking.
- The defender starts on the final try line, only moving forward after the first pass
- The first ball carrier starts in the middle and passes to another attacker who’s only 2m away
- The defender aims to touch/tag the ball carrier, or knock down the ball. They cannot do this if the ball carrier is standing still after scoring a try
- The attackers aim to score in both corner areas before scoring over the last try line
- The ball carrier scores by putting his foot over the line
- Once the ball carrier has scored, he cannot run with the ball, so passes it to one of his team mates
- The attackers can run with the ball
Move the ball quickly to keep the defender guessing.
A 7m box and cones. Change the size of the box to suit your players.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put a defender on the final try line.
- Put an attacker with a ball in the middle of the box. Two other attackers can stand where they want.
- Start with the ball carrier passing to one of the attackers. As soon as they do, the defender can move off the line.
- The defender aims to touch the ball carrier or block and knock down any passes.
- The attackers aim to score in each corner at one end and then over the final try line. They can pass in any direction and run with the ball.
- The score by putting their foot over the line. If they have scored they have to stand still to pass again and cannot be touched by the defender.
- Give the attackers three goes.
- One of the attackers cannot run with the ball.
- Once they have scored the second try corner try, they can only pass backwards.
- One of the attackers is only allowed to pass with one hand.
- Use a football or tennis ball instead.
- Move to full tackling.
- Add in attackers and defenders.
- Allow the attackers 15 seconds before each go to formulate a plan.