Your side will have its fair share of stars, good players and not-so-good. Keep all the players involved and happy, and make each one feel they are a world-beater. MORE
Challenge the attackers to come up with ways to score three tries without being touched. They have three try zones, and different rules to keep them thinking.
- The defender starts on the final try line, only moving forward after the first pass
- The first ball carrier starts in the middle and passes to another attacker who’s only 2m away
- The defender aims to touch/tag the ball carrier, or knock down the ball. They cannot do this if the ball carrier is standing still after scoring a try
- The attackers aim to score in both corner areas before scoring over the last try line
- The ball carrier scores by putting his foot over the line
- Once the ball carrier has scored, he cannot run with the ball, so passes it to one of his team mates
- The attackers can run with the ball
Move the ball quickly to keep the defender guessing.
A 7m box and cones. Change the size of the box to suit your players.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put a defender on the final try line.
- Put an attacker with a ball in the middle of the box. Two other attackers can stand where they want.
- Start with the ball carrier passing to one of the attackers. As soon as they do, the defender can move off the line.
- The defender aims to touch the ball carrier or block and knock down any passes.
- The attackers aim to score in each corner at one end and then over the final try line. They can pass in any direction and run with the ball.
- The score by putting their foot over the line. If they have scored they have to stand still to pass again and cannot be touched by the defender.
- Give the attackers three goes.
- One of the attackers cannot run with the ball.
- Once they have scored the second try corner try, they can only pass backwards.
- One of the attackers is only allowed to pass with one hand.
- Use a football or tennis ball instead.
- Move to full tackling.
- Add in attackers and defenders.
- Allow the attackers 15 seconds before each go to formulate a plan.