Develop a cohesive defence by encouraging the players to work in threes. This activity focuses on the middle player making the tag, and the other two forcing the ball carrier into the tagger. By Dan Cottrell ACTIVITY Only this player can make a tag The outside players can block the tagger The ball carrier aims... MORE
Get your players to be aware of the space to attack, so run forward, while their support players aim to keep connected. The ball carrier may even pass before being tagged. By Dan Cottrell
- Put rockets on each coloured cone
- Start three attacking rockets with a ball
- Count down from 3 to launch attacking rockets
- As the attacking rockets run forward, launch each coloured rocket
- The ball carrier aims to evade the defending rockets and might even pass the ball before being tagged!
- Launch other rockets
- If the ball carrier is tagged they have to pass within three seconds
Go forward, avoid defenders, keep in support and score tries.
A 15m by 10m box (adjust accordingly). Three different coloured cones.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put a “rocket” on each coloured cone inside the box.
- Put three attacking “rockets” on the far line, one with a ball.
- Countdown from three for the attackers to start.
- Shout out which “rocket” launch by shouting “fire yellow” or whatever colour.
- If a ball carrier is tagged, they can pass within three seconds.
- If all the players have been tagged, then the “launch” is over.
- Swap roles and play again.
- With more players, add in more “rockets”.
- Get players to choose where to set up a “rocket launcher”.
- Set off the “rockets” in no particular order, so sometimes a quicker player near the front will start later.
- If a player passes before a “rocket” tags them, that “rocket” cannot tag anymore.