We know what a challenge getting youngsters to listen can be. So how do you get them motivated and having fun? It starts with the warm-up, when you need to set the tempo for your session… MORE
Pass up and back, attack up and across
Develop passing and then attack and support with this activity. It will need a little bit of patience to get going, but the players will learn to support the ball carrier as a consequence.
- The first player walks or runs to the end of the small box. They then pass back to the waiting player
- The other group does the same
- After each pass the passer returns to their starting spot
- The ball is passed down the line, and then passed back the other way
- The defenders aim to tag the ball carrier
- Shout out which team to attack
- The non-attacking team’s ball carrier runs out of the box
- The other players support the ball carrier
- The attacking ball carrier can run forward or out into the larger box
- The attacking team are allowed one tag and then pass in which to score a try
Pass and realign, before attacking and supporting.
Cones and two balls.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put two lines of three players facing each other in the small box (see picture 1).
- Starting with walking, the first player in each line walks forward to the end of the small box and then passes back to the next player, who does the same.
- Each passer returns to the starting point, and the ball gets passed, taken forward and passed, up and down the line.
- Encourage the realignment, but don’t worry too much, as long as the ball is passed and then the player moves forward.
- At any stage, shout out a team. That team then attack. The opposition player with the ball runs out of the box, with the ball. They cannot make a tag and are out of the game. The other players can tag. As a development, that opposition ball carrier can remain in the game, with the ball in one hand, but can tag with their other hand.
- Once you’ve made the call, play one tag rugby in the WHOLE box, where the attacking team are allowed to be tagged once.
- As the players become better, increase the speed in the passing box.
- Put up a target for the passer.
- Call for the ball.
- Move back into position after you pass the ball.