The 8-9-14 move from a right-hand scrum close to the line is excellent for scoring tries but needs variation depending on the strength of opposition defence. MORE
Free pass chasers
Encourage a good free pass and acceleration of the ball carrier, with the free passing looking to support a possible return pass. By Dan Cottrell
- Two attackers start with a free pass when you call a colour
- The defender runs to the coloured cone you called
- The free passer aims to be support the ball carrier
- The defender aims to tag the ball carrier
- The attacker runs to far end to score
- If the ball carrier is tagged, they have two seconds to pass the ball to score a point
- One Ninja point if the ball is passed while both attackers are running. Half a ninja point if just the receiver is running
Create go forward from the free pass.
A 8m by 10m box, three cones and a ball.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put two attackers at one end of the box and a defender about 1m in front of the ball carrier.
- Shout a colour cone. The attacker can pass while the defender touches that cone and tries to catch the new ball carrier.
- If the defender tags the ball carrier, that attacker has two seconds to pass the ball (normally three in the game, but there’s no defenders here).
- If the attackers make a pass on the run, that means both players are running at the same time, they receive one Ninja point. (A Ninja point is like an extra special bonus point – the kids love it!)
- If the attackers make a pass with the receiver running, then they receive half a Ninja point.
- Normal points for tries and tags.
- Add in another defender and attacker.
- Start the defender from a different position.
- Run fast.
- Have fun.