The attacking player needs to beat the defender. If they can’t, they can pass the ball to their support player. This activity works on evasive skills, creating space, support and continuity. Maverick and the Goose start in the middle of first two boxes Each defender waits 2m inside their box Maverick (ball carrier) runs into... MORE
Free pass chasers
Encourage a good free pass and acceleration of the ball carrier, with the free passing looking to support a possible return pass. By Dan Cottrell
- Two attackers start with a free pass when you call a colour
- The defender runs to the coloured cone you called
- The free passer aims to be support the ball carrier
- The defender aims to tag the ball carrier
- The attacker runs to far end to score
- If the ball carrier is tagged, they have two seconds to pass the ball to score a point
- One Ninja point if the ball is passed while both attackers are running. Half a ninja point if just the receiver is running
Create go forward from the free pass.
A 8m by 10m box, three cones and a ball.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put two attackers at one end of the box and a defender about 1m in front of the ball carrier.
- Shout a colour cone. The attacker can pass while the defender touches that cone and tries to catch the new ball carrier.
- If the defender tags the ball carrier, that attacker has two seconds to pass the ball (normally three in the game, but there’s no defenders here).
- If the attackers make a pass on the run, that means both players are running at the same time, they receive one Ninja point. (A Ninja point is like an extra special bonus point – the kids love it!)
- If the attackers make a pass with the receiver running, then they receive half a Ninja point.
- Normal points for tries and tags.
- Add in another defender and attacker.
- Start the defender from a different position.
- Run fast.
- Have fun.