The attacking player needs to beat the defender. If they can’t, they can pass the ball to their support player. This activity works on evasive skills, creating space, support and continuity. Maverick and the Goose start in the middle of first two boxes Each defender waits 2m inside their box Maverick (ball carrier) runs into... MORE
Develop both attack and defence support roles with this attacking challenge. The attackers have different levels to complete to see how many tries they score.
By Dan Cottrell
- The first starting point is 2m from the try line, and then each subsequent turn
is another 2m back
- Two attackers start on the first 2m line, and one 2m back
- The defenders always start on the try line
- Always start with a free pass
- Move back a cone after each turn
- After a tag, the ball carrier has three seconds and three steps to pass the ball
- The attack stops for infringements, or after two tags have been made
- Once the tag is made, the tagged players and the defender cannot take part in that play
- To score, the player must have both tags on
In attack, the supporting player should be running onto the ball.
In defence, the taggers need to mark the threats.
A 10m by 15m box (change the width to suit the players)..
HOW TO DO IT
- Split into 3 v 3.
- The defenders always start on the try line.
- Two attackers start 2m away from the try line, with one attacker 2m back.
- Starting with a free pass, the attackers aim to score over the try line.
- If they are tagged, they have the normal three seconds and three steps to pass the ball. They cannot score if they have only one tag on.
- Once a defender has made one tag, that defender and that attacker are out of the game.
- The attack finishes after two tags are made.
- After each attack, the attackers move their starting point back 2m.
- Count up how many successes from the four cones and then swap attack and defence.
- Play 4 v 4, but still only allow two tags.
- Play 4 v 4, but make the first starting point 4m back and allow three tags.
- Give a bonus point for a pass to a player who’s running onto the ball (pre or post a tag).
- Try to pass before tag.
- Hands out to receive passes.