Get your defensive structure right at the breakdown to ensure you don’t give away easy metres. Your players need to know their responsibilities to stop opponents “going through the guts”. MORE
Make a Tag tackle
U7 MINI-TAG | DEFENDING 1
ACTIVITY: TAG SNATCH
- Pair up the players to make two teams. Give each team a name, such as “Reds” and “Blues”.
- Put them back to back in the middle of the area with the Blues facing one way and Reds the other, each pair 2m from the next.
- Shout out “Red” or “Blue”. The players of that colour sprint to the line in front of them. At the same time, the other players turn and try to tag the runners before they reach the line. Tell the players to get close to the ball carrier.
- The players return tags and repeat the game. Continue until everyone has had at least five goes at sprinting.
What you say
- “Get close to the ball carrier”
- “Grab and remove the tag belt”
- Hold the tag above your head and shout “Tag!”
- “Return the tag to the tagged player”
How many players do I need?
You can run this activity with as many pairs as you like, as long as you have enough space for them all to line up.