Build up the tackle confidence and techniques of your players by using short distances for the ball carrier to run forward while still aiming to beat the tackler – then increasing them. Why use it The tackler can work on his body height, footwork and leg drive in a low impact environment, while the ball... MORE
Defensive Principles of Play
Apply pressure in defence
Time: | Age groups: U12-U16, U17+
This class will help your players master the basic tactics and skills associated with Apply Pressure, one of the Defensive Principles of Play.
Aims and outcomes
Players will understand:
- How applying pressure in defence fits into the principles of play
- What is meant by applying pressure in defence
- Different types to applying pressure in defence
- Tactics/ways to apply pressure in defence
The team will benefit from:
- Understanding why they focus on certain skills and tactics in training
- Knowing how to attack more effectively in a game situation
What you'll need
Different class types required different resources. This table sets out what we think you'll need in each scenario, but feel free to amend it if you find something that works for you.
|Lesson plan||Slides||Presentation notes||Handout||Online course||Quiz||Activities|
If you need to use or share the videos from the slides without sending out the whole presentation, you can find them below.AP in defence POP
When you've delivered the class you'll want to embed the learning with some practical activities. We recommend trying some or all of the activities below in your coaching sessions to put the theory into practice.